Hello fellow dashdashers
if you are struggling to find the right developers for your company, we might just have a solution for you! In two simple steps, you can search the Github database for engineers
- Build the GET request and insert profiles
- GET information on those profiles
In the end, your app will work as smoothly as So bear with me!
Build the GET request
This one requires some setup time, but it’s still super easy:
A1 = language B1 = [CHOOSE LANGUAGE] A2 = location B2 = [CHOOSE LOCATION] A3 = followers B3 = [CHOOSE NO. FOLLOWERS] A4 = sort B4 = [CHOOSE SORT TYPE] A6 = Total A7 = PARSE(B7,"length()") B6 = List request B7 = PARSE(GET("https://api.github.com/search/users?q="&A1&":"&B1&"+"&A2&":"&B2&"+"&A3&":"&B3&"+"&A4&":"&B4&""),"items") C6 = Insert C7 = INSERT_DATA(B7,A9)
Ok, here some explanations on the input above
- B1: input a computer language you’d like your developer to speak. See all possibilities here.
- B2: enter a location where you are looking for developers.
B3: how many followers should your developers have? Enter at least
B4: what should your search results be sorted by? Options are:
followers: descending from most to least followers
joined: from earliest to latest join date
repositories: descending from amount of repositories they own
- A7: here we are displaying the total number of developers that your search query has resulted in.
- B7: the GET request put together and immediately parsed for the items, i.e. the search results.
- C7: inserts the developer profiles in column A below the header “login”.
Alright, our GET request is ready and we already got back the data from the Github API in B7
GET information on those profiles
Now all we need to do is to enrich those user names with further information! We can do this with a second GET request.
B7 = User request B8 = GET("https://api.github.com/users/"&A8&"") C7 = Name C8 = PARSE(B8,"['name']") D7 = Company D8 = PARSE(B8,"['company']") E7 = Location E8 = PARSE(B8,"['location']") F7 = Email F8 = PARSE(B8,"['email']") G7 = Hireable G8 = PARSE(B8,"['hireable']")
Pro tip: You can PARSE out further information from the data file in B8 such as, repositories owned, amount of followers, bio …
Amazing, at this point you are done You can always go back and query for different location and languages. The limit lies at 30 API calls a minute. Should suffice, don’t you think